Authorities responded to an apartment fire in Belleville, IL in the 300 block of Freedom Dr around 6 a.m. Saturday morning. Officials found the 4-year-old home alone. Candles were left burning in the bedroom near flammable household chemicals.

Members of the child’s family stated that an older sibling was there and the child was only left alone briefly. Authorities also found out that the smoke detectors didn’t have any batteries. The toddler has been transported to a local hospital. No charges hbave been filed against the parents at this time.